In 2005, during graduate school at SIUC, I decided to try my hand at an earthwork. I developed the idea of growing a floral pattern on a piece of land which belonged to a friend. In the fall, we planted approximately 400 tulip bulbs in grading color pattern. The following spring (2006) the bulbs grew and bloomed. Unfortunately, only about half the bulbs grew and the ones that did were eaten by deer within days. I still think it is an intriguing idea, but would need to be done in a much more controlled environment.
The last of the blooms opened around April 9, 2006. A few days later the deer cleared them all out. I got these photos, at least.